The Olympic Studies Centre at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (CEO-UAB) is a university research centre promoted by the UAB in 1989, as a response to the challenge implicit in Barcelona’s nomination as host city of the 25th Olympic Games.
Today, CEO-UAB is an international centre at the UAB that carries out research, education, documentation and outreach activities in Barcelona and abroad. Its mission is to enhance knowledge on how the Olympic values, the Olympic Games as a global event, and sport can contribute to create a better society.
Through research, teaching, organising outreach events, and producing or facilitating access to academic resources, CEO-UAB aims to support the development of practices and policies in the field of sport and the Olympics.
By doing so, CEO-UAB aims to become an international centre of reference in the field of Olympic studies, fostering and supporting research in the field, educating future professionals, and facilitating access to quality academic-based resources.
The foundational objectives of our centre were:
- To collaborate with the international Olympic Movement and with the various national and international sports organizations in academic, scientific and cultural dissemination fields.
- To carry out research into Olympism and sport, particularly in the fields of humanities and social sciences.
- To organise university courses for professionals and postgraduate students in Olympism and sport.
- To compile documentation and make it available to students, visitors and specialists through information and documentation service.
- To promote international academic activities and coordination of university centres.
- To facilitate -by means of symposia, conferences and publications- the scientific and social dissemination of studies carried out.