Olympic communication. The relationship between the media and sport in general, and the media and the Olympic Games in particular, has been one of the CEO-UAB’s key research areas. The main aim of this line of research is to analyse the close relationship between the media and sport in terms of the financial synergy between them and the system’s internal logic and organisational schemes. The strategic objectives of the research line are:
- Analyze new dynamic communication environment of global sport and transfer it to society.
- Establish international collaborations with prestige academic research groups for research and dissemination of knowledge.
- Introduce in the field of communication studies a holistic, transversal and multidisciplinary approach, with the capacity to embrace the inherent complexities in this field of study.
Sport events impact and management. Since the celebration of the Barcelona’92 Olympic Games, the CEO-UAB has undertaken and supported a large number of research projects on the impact of the Barcelona Olympic Games. This research line, focused on the Olympic Games, has been widened to embrace the area of sport events management and impact. The strategic objectives of the research line are:
- Potentiate the role of CEO-UAB as a R+D centre that contributes to improve sport event management process in their community, and in particular, those linked to the institutions member of its governing body.
- Develop and support research, training and outreach activities on methodologies and tools for managing information and knowledge to analyse the impacts of sport events in host societies, either based on own resources or building alliances with other research units.
- Increase the awareness of public actors and event organisers on the importance and benefits of investing in event impact research.
Olympic history. In recent years, CEO-UAB has potentiated an activity line on the history of sport and Olympism in Spain to contribute to the preservation of memory of the sporting Catalan heritage. The strategic objectives of the research line are:
- Promote, lead and develop memory project on the history of Olympism in Catalonia with the aim of contributing to the preservation of memory of the sporting Catalan heritage.
- Complement the focus of the activity line on communication and sport with the analysis of the relationship between communication and sport in Catalonia and Spain from a historical perspective.
- Promote the diffusion towards society of the results obtained from studies in order to create knowledge on our sporting history.
- Contribute to the identification of documentary sources for the history of sport and Olympism in Catalonia that could be gathered and disseminate through the documental memory project Barcelona Olímpica.
Sport, Culture and Society. The CEO-UAB has promoted projects in a number of different areas of sport and Olympism. The thematic scope of these projects is very broad and, among other areas, covers sports sponsorship and marketing, finance, adapted sport, sport for all, sports management, e-learning for sports managers and the Olympic programme. The strategic objectives of the research line are:
- Potentiate research work developed on social and cultural aspects of sport, supporting PhD studies and post documental research, or participating or leading research projects
- Promote and facilitate transfer of knowledge generated from research to society and sporting industry.